“The issue is now quite clear. It is between light and darkness and every one must choose his side.” G. K. Chesterton

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wifey Wednesday--10 True and False Assumptions about Mary


Today, from Susan, in honor of Our Lady.


As a recent convert from Protestantism, I am pretty sure that I have heard every false and most true assumptions about the Blessed Virgin Mary.  So, in honor of her Assumption, I present the following True and False Quiz for your enjoyment.

1.  Mary is the mother of God.  TRUE.  Really, what do you have a problem with; the idea that she was Jesus’ mother or that he was God.

2.  Catholics pray to Mary.  FALSE.  “Holy Mary, pray FOR us.”  Got it?  Good.

3,  The “Blessed Virgin Mary” was created by the Catholic Church to replaced pagan female Gods already being worshiped by other cultures.  FALSE.  I am not even going to dignify this one with an answer.

4.  Mary had other children with Joseph.  FALSE.  Yes, I’ve read the Bible and can see why people say this.  However, God never gave me the authority to decide the truth of this matter.  The ones to whom he gave the authority says she remained a virgin.  ‘Nuff said.

5.  Mary remained a virgin.  TRUE.  See #4.

6.  Catholics worship Mary.  FALSE.  OK, to be fair, I was once seriously concerned about his one, especially when I would try to pray the “Hail Holy Queen” at the end of the Rosary.  However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I don’t just speak words of love and praise to Mary.  I also speak similar words (OK, maybe not that nice) to my husband and children.  Rest assured I don’t worship them.

7.  Mary was sinless.  TRUE.  Again, please see #4.

8.  Mary sinned by pitching a “Mommy Fit” when she finally found Jesus at the temple.  FALSE.  For years this one was also one of my favorite rationales for Mary not being sinless.  However, after looking at the story again within the context of “a sword shall pierce your heat also,” I have come to see it differently.  I now see her as a grieving mother who was afraid that her son had already been sacrificed without her there to comfort him.  So she wasn’t yelling; she was near tears, and crying out in relief.

9.  Mary in now reigning as Queen of Heaven.  TRUE.  Please see the Book of Revelations for details.

10.  Mary loves us, and prays for us.  TRUE, thanks be to God.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Susan. Thank you. You may wish to read my take on Mary regarding how people view our relationship to her on my Blog:

    http://timeforreflections.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/why-bother-with-mary.html

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete