“The issue is now quite clear. It is between light and darkness and every one must choose his side.” G. K. Chesterton

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wifey Wednesday: The Secret Life of the Woman in the Mantilla, Part 1


  
It's Wednesday, so you know what that means.  A few words from Susan...

Next week I hope to write something more about my journey into head covering, and how it reflects my journey into the Catholic Church, but for now I just want to give anyone out there a brief look into the kind of mind that the lace on my head is covering up (warning:  this may be shocking).
  • I am NOT thinking, “Look at me!  I am soooooo holy with my head completely covered during mass.  Shame on that naked headed woman in front of me with her eight clean, well behaved children.  If only she were as holy as me.”
  • I am thinking (much of the time, “Man, I’m glad I actually remembered to bring my mantilla today because my hair is a mess.”
  • Sometimes I pull the lace forward so it frames my face and reminds me of the veil that, in this life, separates me from the face of God.
  • Sometimes I pull the lace forward so I can ignore what one of my children is doing that is bugging me.
  • For years, I thought the veil was a symbol of my holiness.
  • Now, I know that it is a symbol for my need.

No comments:

Post a Comment